Improving teacher quality and teacher education in Europe
European priorities and actions
School education is important for everyone's life chances. Some of the most important questions and challenges which have the greatest significance for the well-being of individuals and the good of society relate to the quality of school education and training.
The EU Ministers of Education have on three separate occasions (November 2007, 2008, 2009) set out and developed their vision of the priority actions that must be taken to improve teaching in Europe.
These statements about priorities have set the agenda for a process of peer-learning by national experts in teaching and teacher education, resulting in a number of interesting recommendations about
- Schools as learning communities;
- Preparing teachers to teach in culturally diverse classroom settings;
- Effective relationships between schools and teacher education institutions;
- School leadership;
- The induction of new teachers, and
- Practical classroom training within Initial Teacher Education.
Read more about the European Strategy ‘Education and Training 2020’ in the folder International Strategies